Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The American People Have Spoken


Well, the American people have spoken. Some of them more than once. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed. I was hoping for a different kind of change. But the way I look at it...my hope is not in the White House. My hope is placed in Jesus. Ian and I prayed fervently for this election. Many people we know interceded as well. We trust that God knows better than we do what this country needs in a leader for people to have the best opportunity to encounter Him. So beginning this coming Sunday, we will be praying for President-elect Barack Obama every Sunday as we have done for President Bush for the nearly 4 years we have been married.

It's kind of funny. As I was writing our election eve post, Ian looked at me and said, "No more political blogging after tomorrow." I agreed. It's been a crazy season, studying and trying to craft reasonable arguments when new thoughts and information kept coming fast and furious. But I've really enjoyed the dialogue. I've admired the thoughtfulness Fobbiemom has put into this process. So maybe we're not done. I think I'd like to continue the discussion in preparation for the long road to 2012. And this time I'll want to have a more thoughtful discussion on political principles and not just objections to the candidate I opposed in this election.

And on that note...now that Obama has been elected I pledge to make every effort to be fair in my future assessments. I have been very bothered by what the conservative bloggers have called the "Bush derangement syndrome". I intend to be respectful of my President, while reserving the right to analyze the policies of his administration.

I think I'll take a break for a while. But I'll be back. Until then....

Clarice

1 comment:

Anna said...

Like you, I feel like I'm going through political blog withdrawal. Actually, yours was the only blog I visited. I get my info from the liberal media :)I considered it a rare privilege, since I try not to discuss politics with my church friends,(I'm a closet Democrat) and when I do engage in discussions with those in my extended family, they have a hard time with my views. Dialoguing with you has enlightened me in more ways than one. I too prayed for this election, especially when I was undecided about the two candidates for such a long time. Though Obama has been leading in the polls, when I turned on my TV last night at 8 p.m. I was pretty shocked.
Thank you for praying for our new president. We too have prayed for Bush. Though we disagreed with many of his policies, we were never Bush haters. We need to pray that our new president would lead this country with wisdom and constraint, since the people he serves are so polarized in so many issues. He has a tough job ahead of him. I saw the faces of the African Americans last night, and I saw so much hope in them. He is only one man with a lot of expectations placed upon him.
Thanks to your blog, I have visited territories I have not touched before, and I will continue with an open mind and unbiased approach (if there is such an animal.) But I will NOT believe Rush Limbaugh. I wouldn't go that far! See you around on future posts?