Friday, September 19, 2008

Getting in their faces

Barack Obama said something on the campaign trail that I found interesting...and a bit revealing.

He said:
“I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face.”

I found it interesting because as a follower of Jesus, I've made it a goal to tell people about the amazing kind of life I've found in Jesus just in case His way of living could make a profound difference in their own lives. Actually, I'm pretty convinced that Jesus' way is the best way possible, but I have to frame my mental thinking according to my first statement. See, any other way, then I'm accused of proselytizing, of trying to convert, of ramming my religion down the throats of others, of being intolerant of the beliefs of others, of (because I work for the University) violating the separation of church and state.

It seems to me that those who have been most ardent about taking religion out of government and education and anything public are usually from the left end of the political spectrum. So it's not okay to "argue" about religion or "get in their face" about their spiritual lives, but it is okay....even encouraged...no, let's call this mandated...to do the same about what Obama's campaign is promoting. So what's the difference? Aren't political views usually a reflection of a belief system? That's just one aspect of what he said that bugged me. There's a hint of hypocrisy there (and I am willing to admit that the right has its own hypocrisy...just not always so rabid). Here's the other. If a person really believes he/she has something great to offer me, I'm happy to discuss it and willing to be persuaded, because I'd love to pursue those things that might offer benefit to my life and the lives of others. But if a person's approach is to be invasive, then I start to think that it's not really about the common good, but instead about what he/she wants for self instead. And the argument seems rather self-serving.

I generally like to think more about good things to move toward rather than negative things to move away from. Thus, I would much rather spend time thinking about what the McCain/Palin ticket offers that would persuade me to vote for them rather than what dissuades me from voting for Obama/Biden. But this is one framework of thinking revealed in Obama's quote leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Clarice

No comments: